Saturday, April 3, 2010

Union Sqaure Cafe

Union Square Cafe

www.unionsquarecafe.com
21 East 16th Street
New York, NY 10003
(212) 243-4020

So I've been meaning to go here for a while. I went to Maialino a few months ago and loved it (I promise one day I will review all the restaurants that I've eaten, in NY, Hawaii, and Boston... but it takes a bit of time...It will get done though..). The other and original Danny Meyer restaurant did not disappoint. First came a tuna tartare that was good (a little salty for my taste though). My dining partner enjoyed it immensely however, I'm just not the biggest fan of capers so I just accept that I was biased to begin with... For my main course, I ordered the pork lasagna. The Lasagna used fresh pasta and balanced the meat and cheese well. Surprisingly, that balance came in not using too much cheese at all. The dish was comprised with a savory tomato based sauce with well seasoned pork, layered between perfectly cooked pasta. For dessert, I decided against something sweet, and decided to go with the cheese plate. I loved one of their raw cow's milk cheese (forgot the name). But this cheese was perfectly harmonized with the honeycomb honey on top of the walnut toast. Delicious.

In all, the beauty of the Union Square cafe was not the overwhelming flavors, or the wonderful service. The beauty was in the balance.

1 comment:

A.Viv said...

awesome. I love your blog! when you post recipes, would you please include the calories with them? I was looking at your brownies recipe and it's oh soo tempting, but I'm suppose to be "eating right." Low calorie recipes would be greatly appreciated too, if you by chance find one =) just a friendly request.